A Burning Passion for Education Reform
Fremont College’s Chancellor Dr. Kay appeared on Business Rock-stars earlier this month to delve into her journey to America, her life as an entrepreneur, how and why she started Fremont College, and her passion for higher education reformation. We have gathered some of her best tips to help inspire our students who want to become entrepreneurs:
Tips on Starting a Business
According to Dr. Kay, “Information is power but action is what makes transformation. If I didn’t do my research to have the full information on the market place pain and didn’t ask, I would have never gotten it.” As an example to go along with this advice, Dr. Kay recounted the story of how she convinced a software company to donate their software to her so that she could start a college and teach people how to use it. The company’s founder did not know that the fashion industry did not have enough computer operators and, as a result, donated over one million dollars’ worth of software. With this sizable donation, Dr. Kay started the Art Institute of Hollywood in her garage.
Advice for the “Want-prepreneur”
One student asked Dr. Kay her advice for the “want-preprenuer,” or the person who wants to start a business but just has not yet. According to Dr. Kay, “I worked eighteen hours a day, seven days a week for ten years in my twenties doing one thing. I never took a vacation or was even sick. Don’t want. Do. They are different. To achieve anything in your life, you must be a doer. Hyper-focus and execution is what makes incredible results whatever you choose to do.” Instead of sitting around day-dreaming of your future business, start taking steps to make it happen. Keep in mind that even the smallest steps are a step in the right direction.
What is the Most Important Tip for Being a Successful Entrepreneur?
Another student asked Dr. Kay what her most important tip for success is. She replied, “I am totally driven by fear. It keeps me on edge. I don’t want to fail and am fearful that I will disappoint someone.” Students who want to be successful entrepreneurs should stay focused, be disciplined and maintain momentum. Dr. Kay also stressed that having a great team that works at the same speed and in the same direction can also make a huge difference in an entrepreneur’s success. In addition to speeding up the process, a good team makes the journey so much more enjoyable.
If you’re going in the the way of becoming an Entrepreneur there are a few things to keep in mind, which are outlined below.
- Attitude – Maintaining a positive attitude when faced with challenges will help you stay on track. If you are able to adopt the right mindset, it will go a long way when it comes to staying motivated. Train your mind to focus on conquering setbacks instead of letting worry or doubt consume you. Keep in mind that if you believe you will accomplish your goals, you are more likely to take the necessary actions to do so.
- Acknowledging Your Progress – Give yourself credit for the progress you have made thus far so you approach new tasks with a positive attitude. Recognizing your past successes can serve as great motivator to keep pushing yourself to achieve your goals. Make a list of your recent achievements, whether it’s receiving an “A” on your last Math test or completing a term paper early. Being reminded of past accomplishments can inspire you when you are lacking motivation.
- Keeping Organized In A Disorganized World – Staying motivated can be difficult if you’re not organized. Organize your study space and even your computer files to help you think clearly. By staying organized, you are less likely to be distracted by items in your workspace that are not conducive to studying or completing homework assignments. Clear your workspace before each study or homework session by placing any non-essential items in a container or drawer until you need them.
- Be Flexible – Create a schedule for completing tasks and accomplishing goals that is flexible. This will prevent you from feeling overwhelmed when something unexpected comes up. Re-evaluate your plan on a regular basis to determine if you need to make adjustments based on your current responsibilities, whether it’s a job, family, or your social life.
- Eliminate Distractions – Whether it’s a noisy neighbor or the need to check your Facebook page every five minutes, distractions can make you feel less motivated. Eliminate as many distractions as possible and find a quiet study area that allows you concentrate without interruptions. Turn off or silence electronic devices so you won’t feel tempted to check them. Make an agreement with yourself that you can’t check your Facebook page or other social media sites until you have finished your assignments and are done studying. Although many people have the misconception that it’s best to work nonstop until a task is complete, it can be difficult to stay motivated if you don’t take a break periodically. Take time for yourself in the middle of a big project or tedious task to do something you enjoy. You will feel rejuvenated and approach tasks with a fresh mind afterward.
More Tips for Becoming a Successful Entrepreneur
In addition to the great advice Dr. Kay provided, the team at Fremont College has gathered a list of other great tips for becoming a successful entrepreneur:
- Love What You Do – Having a passion for what you do not only motivates you to keep doing it, but it also makes your work life far more enjoyable.
- Take Baby Steps – You will not build a successful business over night. Keep in mind that you need to take baby steps to ensure your business is built on a solid foundation. Create a business plan, run a risk assessment and talk with other successful entrepreneurs in your field.
- Self-Promote – As an entrepreneur, you need to have confidence and be able to sell yourself and your business. Work on a 30-second pitch for your business that you can deliver to interested parties, like investors.
- Build a Solid Reputation – You will need to build a solid reputation to ensure your business is successful. This will naturally occur if you conduct your business properly. In the meantime, consider some self-promotion like starting a blog for your business. This can help cement your position as an expert in your field.
Passion, perseverance and a positive attitude are key components for being a successful entrepreneur. If you’re looking to become an entrepreneur you may need to develop some of these skills. In addition to these skills, Fremont College can help you learn the important skills for being a successful entrepreneur. For more information, contact us today.
Here’s a breakdown of her most salient points.
1. Anecdote on starting a business. “Information is power but action is what makes transformation. If I didn’t do my research to have the full information on the market place pain and didn’t ask, I would have never gotten it.” She convinced a software company to donate their software to her so that she could start a college and teach people how to use it. The software company didn’t know the fashion industry’s pain of not having enough computer operators. The founders of the software company donated over $1 million worth of software. Thus, Dr. Kay started Art Institute of Hollywood in her garage.
2. Advice for the Wantrepreneur (that person who wants to start a business, just hasn’t yet). “I worked 18 hours a day, 7 days a week for 10 years in my 20s, doing one thing. I never took a vacation or was even sick.” Don’t want. Do. They are different. To achieve anything in your life, you must be a doer. Hyper-focus and execution is what makes incredible result whatever you choose to do.
3. What’s important to be a successful
entrepreneur? “I am totally driven by fear. It keeps me on edge. I don’t want to fail and am fearful that I will disappoint someone.” Focus. Discipline. Momentum. Have a great team that works at the same speed and in the same direction. They make the journey so much more enjoyable.
4. What makes Fremont College so unique? We have two very important frameworks that make the 21st century workplace education very effective. * Flipped and blended classroom. All learning is didactic and online. Professors are no longer knowledge gods, they act as curator, mentor, coach and adviser for our students. Students come to Fremont College to do projects, collaboration, and discussions. * Vertically Integrated Education. When a university owns businesses that they teach, students learn very effectively from their boss who is their professor via apprenticeship. Students will graduate with a bachelor’s degree, four years of real work experience, and a promise of an interview for a job their degree is tailored specifically to do. That’s what we are implementing through Fremont College Education Lab. If you are interested in knowing more about Fremont College click here to contact us.
What Makes Fremont College Unique?
Dr. Kay was also asked about Fremont College, specifically what makes it so unique. She replied that, “We have two very important frameworks that make the 21st century workplace education very effective,”:
- Flipped and Blended Classrooms – All learning at Fremont is didactic and online. Professors are no longer “knowledge gods.” Instead, they act as curators, mentors, coaches and advisors for all Fremont students. As a result, more and more students are coming to Fremont College to do projects, collaborate, and join in discussions.
- Vertically Integrated Education – Fremont is unique because it is a university that owns businesses from which student learn valuable skills. For example, students learn very effectively from their boss, who is also their professor via apprenticeship. Students who graduate with a bachelor’s degree will also graduate with four years of real work experience, and a promise of an interview for a job that their degree is tailored specifically to do.
Dr. Kay reminded the audience that, “succeeding as an entrepreneur takes hard work and persistence because, unfortunately, there is no business-startup fairy who magically bestows success on small businesses and their owners.” Hard work, perseverance, and proper education are three key components you need to be a successful entrepreneur.
Starting a New Career
If you want a degree that will lead to stable career opportunities, look no further than Fremont College. Fremont College offers in-demand degree programs in Multimedia Design, Business Leadership, Paralegal Studies, and Sports Therapy. An online Degree Completion Program is available in Multimedia Design and Business Leadership that allows students to transfer previously-earned college credits toward a bachelor’s degree that takes just 15 months to complete. Contact us today to learn how our degree programs can prepare you for an exciting and rewarding career. Space is limited, so don’t wait to start preparing for your future!