How to Do Well in Online College Classes
With many colleges now offering online courses and some offering entire degree programs online, online classes have become a convenient option for those who have busy schedules or are unable to attend class for other reasons. The disadvantage of online college courses is that it’s easy to neglect assignments and forget to log in regularly when your schedule becomes hectic. Continue reading for tips that will help you do well in online college classes.
1. Print a copy of the class syllabus Print a copy of the class syllabus before the first class so you know what is expected of you at all times and to ensure you meet deadlines on time. This will allow you to check off assignments as you complete them and highlight assignments that will be due soon. Many people perform better when they see things on paper and have a constant reminder of assignment due dates.
2. Find the right study environment Your study environment has a direct impact on study effectiveness. You may find it difficult to focus if your study area is in a high-traffic or noisy area. A quiet area with plenty of space to spread out your class notes and books is ideal for creating the right studying environment.
3. Dedicate time to your coursework every day Make a habit of spending a little time on coursework each day to ensure you complete assignments on time. This may include reading material for your class, or completing an assignment or evaluation. Set a schedule you will be able to follow every day. The best way to do this is to designate a certain time of the day that you will dedicate to your online college classes.
4. Log in every day Log in to your online courses a few times per day to read announcements and check the discussion board. By doing this, you will always be up-to-date with the latest information regarding your online courses. Some instructors also have requirements about signing in a certain number of times each week, so find out what your instructors requirements are before class starts.
5. Communicate with your instructors Most online instructors will provide an email address and phone number where you can contact them with questions. If you’re having difficulty or there is something you don’t understand about an assignment, ask your instructor for assistance right away. This will not only ensure that you make a good impression on your instructors, it will also help you perform better in your online courses.
6. Participate and ask questions In order to be successful in online courses, you must be proactive about learning. Part of being proactive involves participating in online discussions and group forums about the coursework, etc. Getting involved in your online classes will not only show the instructor you are motivated to do well, it will also help you learn more. Also, make sure you post on discussion boards when you are required to. Posting on discussion boards usually counts as class participation and can be a significant part of your grade.
7. Read assigned course material Make sure you keep up with reading assignments because you will probably be quizzed on the material. Reading assignments may also be the topic for class discussion, and if you didn’t read the assigned material – you won’t be able to participate in the discussion.
If the convenience of online college appeals to you, consider enrolling in one of Fremont University’s accelerated online degree programs. Online programs at Fremont University take just 15 months to complete, allowing you to start working in your field in a little over a year. Fremont offers the following online degree programs: Multimedia Design program, and online business management degree in Business Leadership. Contact us today to enroll in one of our online programs – space is limited!